Sunday, April 23, 2017

Chapter Eighty-three

So far, April has been pretty good to me. Sure, there were a couple of days early on when the car wouldn't start right up but - after I let her sit for an hour or so - she kicked in. We've had some family get-togethers for my Granddaughter's Birthday and Easter and there's definitely a warming trend going on (although that means my allergies kick in). I've also had the time to finish a few books.

Series

In The Shadows of Paris - Claude Izner ($14.99/$.50, copyright 2005, 326 pages, Trade Paperback)
I read the first book in this series several years ago and enjoyed it so, when I came across this, I  had to pick it up. The main character, Victor Legris, is a book shop owner in Paris in the late 1800's.  He involves himself in the death of a book binder who dies in a fire that Legris thinks is suspicious. There's a petty theft that leads to stock manipulation and, of course, a missing manuscript. Izner paints a great picture of Paris at the time but there are way too many characters to keep track of and it got confusing at times. It was OK.

The Devil's Company - David Liss ($15.00/$.50, copyright 2009, 369 pages, Trade Paperback)
I've had this book in "The Pile" for - I'm guessing - over a year now and it just caught my attention again. Turns out, this is the 3rd in the Benjamin Weaver series, set in the early 1700's in London. He's a Private Inquiry Agent who's not above bending the law when it suits him. Here, he's coerced again into going to work for the British East India Company - the "Power Behind The Scenes" at the time. They want him to avenge the honor of one of their members who was set up in a game of chance. Of course, things don't go well. Intrigue follows and Weaver has to do what he has to do. Liss hits the mark on his descriptions of various areas in London and his characters ring true. I enjoyed it.

Miscellaneous

The Poe Shadow - Matthew Pearl ( $15.00/$.50, copyright 2006, 364 pages, Trade Paperback)
I'm a big fan of Edgar Allen Poe so I had to pick this one up. The book is set in 1851 and the main character is a Baltimore attorney, Quentin Clark, who is an admirer of Poe's work. One day he reads in the paper that Poe has died in a Baltimore hospital, supposedly after a drinking binge. Clark refuses to believe that his hero died in such horrible terms, and starts to investigate the matter. In his investigation, he comes upon many puzzling questions over Poe's death. He first goes to Paris to find the real-life basis for Poe's famous detective, August Dupin, and comes back with two possible candidates. From there, the author ramps everything up. Pearl has created some really memorable characters and has done a great job of recreating the City of Baltimore of 1851. I enjoyed it.

As I finish this up, my bedroom window is open and the sun is still shining. I think I'll go across the street to Quick Chek for their Steak and Shredded Potato Bowl for supper. The week ahead looks good, weather-wise.

May is up next.

Keep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment