Saturday, March 13, 2010

Special Insert

Soooo, I have the use of a computer all day today and since I've read a lot of comic book stuff these last few days, I think it's time for a Special Insert.

Comics

Defenders - Keith Giffins and J. M. DeMatteis writers; Kevin Maguire, penciler. ($19.99/$6.98, copyright 2006, Hard Cover)
If you recognize the names then you know that this is the same creative team that is "famous" for the Justice League International phenomena. This Hard Cover edition includes all 5 issues of their take on the Marvel Super team. It's a typical Earth-in-danger-by-mystic-forces tale where Doctor Strange rounds up Namor, the Hulk, and tries for the Silver Surfer. What makes this one great is Namor telling Strange he sounds like bad Shakespeare, and the remarkable facial expressions that Maguire draws. I enjoyed it.

Batman: Gotham After Midnight - Steve Niles, writer and Kelley Jones, artist ($19.99/Gift Card, Copyright 2009, Trade Edition)
This edition includes all 12 issues in the miniseries. Here Batman faces off against several of his usual villains while trying to figure out who's really behind everything. A good story made better by a good part for Bruce Wayne (for a change) and an involved Alfred. I enjoyed it.

Showcase Presents: Sgt. Rock - Robert Kanigher, writer and Joe Kubert, artist (for the most part) (543 pages, $16.99/30% off coupon, Copyright 2007, Trade Edition)
Included here are sort of an origin story from the January, 1959 issue of GI Combat and the Easy Company stories from Our Army At War dating from April, 1959 to April, 1962. All of these tales revolve around DC's WW2 hero. I remember them fondly, but unfortunately they tend to drag when you read them all at once. Rock finds a way out, Rock teaches a lesson, Rock overcomes wounds. That's pretty much it. It's OK, but I recommend reading a few stories at a time.

In the last chapter, 5 I think, I ran on about my problem with single issue purchasing. Briefly, I had to wait months before I was finally able to pick up the last issue of the Flash:Reborn initial story arc. I got last Thursday so I should be happy, but I'm not. The story was OK, and sets up an ongoing, but my gripe now is with the number of pages devoted to the story. I didn't look back at the first 4 issues, but issues 5 and 6 came with excerpts of other DC upcoming specials each numbering about 5 pages. This means that I got 5 less pages of story and artwork for the comic I was buying. That just doesn't seem fair.

Keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment